Maybe I expect too much. Overall, the everyday is wonderful. It is just those moments, when the whining is too much, the tattling too often, the thank yous few and far between. Those are the moments when I'm not the mom I want to be. The times when I find myself wishing I could take it back. The minutes where my bad behavior out weighs their bad behavior.Monday, July 21, 2008
I don't always want to say "NO"
Things have been so busy these past weeks. We have an upcoming birthday party, block party, and our Church's Women's Organization get together in early August. We just got back from vacation and school starts next week! I'm not overwhelmed or stressed, I just find myself lacking patience. A few of us met at Chic-fil-A to discuss things for the block party and my kids just would not cooperate. I came home very frustrated, then I saw this quote:
“It is not about making a cake, dinner or any number of important things…It is, however, about making a child. A unique, one-of-a-kind, significant individual” - Seeing The Everyday, Issue 1, Page 17, Lawrence Elliott
So I thought, I do have four "unique, one-of-a-kind, significant individuals" and I do need to have a better perspective on my purpose. I want to be a mother, I want to nurture and develop. I just also want them to be good. Is it possible to have a child who is imaginative and enthusiastic, but will also sit still in church? Or one that can play with a variety of children without mimicking their behaviors? Can I make a child and a cake without a little frosting getting smeared?
Maybe I expect too much. Overall, the everyday is wonderful. It is just those moments, when the whining is too much, the tattling too often, the thank yous few and far between. Those are the moments when I'm not the mom I want to be. The times when I find myself wishing I could take it back. The minutes where my bad behavior out weighs their bad behavior.
This parenting thing is hard and it doesn't stop for anything. Plus the stakes are so great. I have four little humans on my hands and that does overwhelm me. Where is the balance between have-to, want-to, need-to, and just plain would-really-like-to-find-myself-doing? So, maybe for today, I need to be easier on my kids and maybe even, a little easier on myself.
Maybe I expect too much. Overall, the everyday is wonderful. It is just those moments, when the whining is too much, the tattling too often, the thank yous few and far between. Those are the moments when I'm not the mom I want to be. The times when I find myself wishing I could take it back. The minutes where my bad behavior out weighs their bad behavior.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
I had one of those moments this morning, when I got mad at E over piano. I had to sit back and really think about what's important and it's not piano. Funny, we're all the same! -miriam
somer
i love the poses that sadie makes in every picture. and ella is getting so cuter and have i told you how darling i think maisy's hair is and jack is too much. it's hard being a mom...but then you look at them and it's all forgotten
Post a Comment