Monday, March 9, 2009

Gold Roses for Fairy Tale Friday

This is my second year of Fairy Tale Fridays and I thought I would get away with repeating my projects from last year, but then a couple of the stories I did last year had already been done and Ella was begging for a new project, so along came this one:
I love Fairy Tale Friday, because I find that the stories are referenced so often even in the books I read. King Midas and the Golden Touch definitely falls into that category and to give the kids the golden touch, we made golden roses. You really can do this with any color of tissue paper but we, appropriately, used gold. You need: gold tissue, gold pipe cleaners, and gold wired ribbon (optional)
Cut 5 " squares from the tissue paper. Each rose uses five pieces of tissue, one pipe cleaner and one 2" piece of ribbon.
Stack the squares of tissue paper and accordion fold all five pieces together. Round the edges with scissors so that it looks like a golden band-aid.
Pinch the "band-aid" in the center and wrap the pipe cleaner around the middle, leaving about a 3" tail one the other end of the pipe cleaner.
Fan the folds out, being careful not to tear the tissue (but don't worry if you do, you won't be able to tell in the end.)
Scrunch the top petals together to hide the pipe cleaner and begin...
separating the petals. I held one in one hand and one in the other and gently pulled them apart.
Push and pull your petals to make it look like a rose.
Fold the piece of ribbon in half, lengthwise.
Match the raw edges together, looping the ribbon around to form something that resembles a leaf.
Pinch the raw edges and place them between the two ends of the pipe cleaner about 2" from the base of the rose.
Twist the pipe cleaner above and below the leaf.
And you have a finished rose.
Kind of fun.

3 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

fun! I shall have to add that to my new curriculum!

thegeralds said...

Ooh! I'm going to do that at school! What a great fun idea. Thanks!

Mariel said...

I love that! Great job!

Fun blog, just stumbled on ya.

www.oneshetwoshe.blogspot.com

 
Hit Countershtml hit counter