Saturday, October 4, 2008

Some things are not what they seem

Something happened the other day that, although I should be used to, surprises me and hurts my feelings. It isn't the fault of anyone involved it is just something that occurs because of circumstances.

I was at the store and things had taken longer than I expected, so I had two tired and cranky kids in my cart. The lady behind me, being kind and understanding, began to talk to the kids in a sweet voice while I put my groceries on the belt. Two sets of wide eyes looked up at her from tired toddler faces, hanging on her words. But then she asked Maisy a question, "Are you ready to go home?" To which Maisy replied, "Aaa." I watched as the woman's expression changed, just for a second, but I saw it. She had that look of shock; the look of confusion people get when a toddler can't form words.

Maisy is small for her age, overall she is quiet and a bit wary of strangers, so people don't usually see much beyond appearances. And by all appearances, Maisy looks to be a shy, quiet two-and-a-half-year-old, even though she is almost four. But Maisy is so much more than any of that, two or four doesn't begin to describe her age. Just as her speech doesn't begin to tell what is going on in her head. To sit and spend a few moments with Maisy is a treat. There is more in her smile than just happiness, more in her laugh than just joy; there is something about Maisy that is contagious. She makes you want to be happy, to laugh, to be better.

I don't want to be sad about it and I really am quite over the whole thing. She was a nice lady and she had no idea that the child before her defied all odds to be here. I just want to remember that things are not always what they appear. Sometimes there is so much more to the situation than any of us know. Sometimes, when the words are taken away, we have to look at the heart and know that the true spirit isn't on the outside.

8 comments:

~*~toni~*~ said...

You can just look at her sweet face and tell she is very special!! Sometimes people do not understand. It's OK for you to feel the way you do! YOU know she's a beautiful child and, so does your very loving family! That's what counts above all!!

Erin said...

Wouldn't it be great if we could all remember that what matters most isn't on the outside? We would all be so much happier with ourselves and that would leave so much more time to be concerned with everyone else for all the right reasons. If only... but for now I think that Maisy is absolutely perfect the way she is. And that picture is ADORABLE!! By the way, I love your blog, it always makes me happy!

haley said...

maisy is the most amazing little girl and anyone who has spent any more than 5 seconds with her knows that. we love her so much!!! im so excited to be living so close to you guys soon!

Jayne said...

It's funny, because when I detect that something isn't as it seems, I move a little closer. I know these little ones, or big ones, are closer to Heavenly Father and I want to be able to be a part of it for a minute or two. Maybe it's because I have Merry in my life, I don't know. If only everyone would be as accepting as them, life would be wonderful-er.

Lars said...

I love her colorful, bright pink outfit.

You are blessed to be a mother who understands the treasures she calls children.

Somer said...

Thanks. Somedays we embrace the eighties.

UK lass in US said...

Unfortunately I don't think people get to control the shock reaction. Despite spending lots of my life around those who are on the receiving end of those looks, I still wonder if I do them unconsciously, too. Still, I think that those that do take the time to find out the hidden depths are the ones that get truly rewarded.

PS. What a cutie - and I like the little miss t-shirt

Megan said...

This is Megan Nelson, from the ward...and I hope you don't mind that I stumbled across your blog. I just wanted to thank you so much for writing this. I often find myself worried what other people are thinking about my little Aubrey when they realize she can't walk or even crawl...let alone talk. It is a good reminder to me that what someone else may think doesn't matter as much as what I know and love about my daughter. So thank you.

You are welcome to visit my blog anytime:)

 
Hit Countershtml hit counter