Thursday, December 4, 2008

Miracle of Miracles

It is miraculous to me that a child can learn to somersault on their own. I didn't teach him to tuck his head and push off with his knees.
A physical therapist was not required, doctors have not evaluated his progress in conjunction with his biological age.
There are the miracles of children overcoming obstacles and accomplishing more than is predicted. But then there is the miracle of normal development. How does all of this happen with little intervention?
My sister called me this morning and at eight-and-a-half months pregnant, she is experiencing the get-this-baby-out discomfort stage. Did you know that a mom's body does exactly what it should to provide for babies and bring healthy babies into the world all the time?
I'm not trying to make light of the times when it doesn't go right. I have experienced a couple of those. It is just that I can't believe what a miracle it is that most babies are born healthy and develop normally. That amazes me.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh my goodness, Sommer! I had this same conversation last night with Matt. What a miracle it is that some children can walk and talk and go potty in a toilet all without any specialist involved.

Way to go Jack!!!! And way to go somer for appreciating the small things.

 
Hit Countershtml hit counter