Friday, November 7, 2008

The dress

I like to sew. When I say that I don't just mean that I can sew or I do sew, I mean that I enjoy it. When I take a piece of fabric and I cut it and piece it, add to it or take away from it and I am left with something beautiful, I enjoy that, the whole process. I find it rewarding and it isn't undone or taken away. Everything I sew has a bit of me with it, my time, my touch. Somehow, when it comes to a special occasion, going to the store or online and buying something just isn't the same. I want the person to know that I sat down and created something with them in mind.
So when it came time for Sadie's dress there was no question, I would make it. I had planned for a year, an heirloom style seemed just right for the occasion. But then, October caught up to me, and I was up almost all night last Thursday. Pintucks, pieced together Swiss embroideries, entredeux, piping, ruching and we have the dress.
She looked very beautiful in it, and I can't believe I don't have a picture of her wearing the dress. I know she felt pretty because she would blush and turn her cheek to her shoulder every once in a while.
I sew, not because I have to or it is less expensive, but because when I sit down with fabric and lace I'm thinking about the person who will wear the dress. How will she feel, what will she be thinking, who will be with her, but most of all, will she know how much I love her. Will she understand how special she is, how special this time in her life is, how much she means to her Dad and I? When she puts on a dress that I put together will she feel my arms around her holding her the way I wish I always could? That is when a dress is more than just a dress.

7 comments:

Jayne said...

Was Sadie baptised in this dress, or was this the dress she wore for her baptism? Either way, it's beautiful. My mom made a baptism dress for my younger sisters, and now all the girls (8 so far) have worn it for their baptisms. There's just something about loving hands, creating out of love, that make it so much better.

Somer said...

Jayne - This is the dress that Sadie wore after she was baptised.

thegeralds said...

a beautiful dress for a beautiful girl!

Erin said...

So talented, you never cease to amaze me!

~*~toni~*~ said...

Take a pic of her in it!!!! I bet she looks darling & since it seems we're never going to meet in person, it's the only way I get to see your beautiful family grow!!! LOL!!

.::still blinking::. said...

This is such a sweet post! It was really good to meet you today.

Jennifer Paganelli said...

so glad I popped in..this is heavenly...

 
Hit Countershtml hit counter